On Sunday, 15 March 2020, Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) joined the rest of the world to celebrate World Consumer Rights Day 2020 (WCRD2020).
First observed in 1983, the day is marked to raise awareness about consumer rights and needs. World Consumer Rights Day, which this year is celebrated under the theme ‘The Sustainable Consumer’, has since 1983 become a focal point for activists demanding justice and fairness for consumers in the face of social injustice and exploitation.
As the regulatory body of the communications sector in Uganda, the Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) is mandated to promote consumer awareness and protect the interests of consumers in the sector.
The Commission’s consumer protection function aims to:
- Protect and empower consumers to make informed decisions;
- Educate consumers about their rights and responsibilities;
- Ensure compliance of operators with license obligations on customer care and consumer protection;
- Address consumer complaints;
- Protect consumers against unfair business practices and counterfeit products.
To achieve these objectives, the Commission has undertaken the following initiatives:
- Establishment of a Call Centre with a Toll-Free Line: 0800 222 777;
- Establishment of a comprehensive consumer complaints mechanism;
- Introduction of consumer engagement platforms such as Communications Consumer Parliament, Consumer Help Camps and Youth-in-ICT;
- Collaborations with consumer advocacy organisations.
Activities for this year’s World Consumer Rights Day include a Consumer Help Camp hosted at Uganda Institute of Information and Communication Technology (UICT) Nakawa on Friday, 13 March 2020.
Other consumer help outreach activities will take place in:
- Kyenjojo (16 March)
- Kakumiro (17 March)
- Kagadi (18 March)
- Mpeefu-Kobushera (19 March)
- Kibaale- Nyamurunda (20 March)
- Karuguuza (21 March)
The Commission invites members of the public to take advantage of these help camps to have their communication-related complaints attended to. Alternatively, consumers can reach the Commission through the following channels:
Consumer Affairs Office – 3rd Floor, Communications House, Plot 1-3 Colville Street, Kampala.
Regional offices: Eastern: Plot 39 Republic Street, Mbale; Western: Plot 7 Galt Road, Mbarara; Northern: Plot 31 Main Street, Andrea Olai, Gulu; North-Western: Plot 8, Ntuuha Road, Masindi
Toll-free line: 0800 222 777
Social media: Twitter: @UCC_Official
Facebook: Uganda Communications Commission
Web site: http://www.ucc.co.ug