Since 1971, the UPU has encouraged young writers aged 9-15 to write letters on a given theme to win exciting prizes. The competition is an excellent way of making young people aware of the important role postal services play in our societies. It develops their skills in composition and their ability to express thoughts clearly. It also fosters enjoyment of letter writing and helps strengthen the bonds of international friendship.
The competition is an excellent means of promoting literacy among youth and contributes to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development therefore this year, 2021, the UPU is proud to be running its 50th international letter-writing competition and each participating country chooses a national winner and submits them as the country entry to the UPU international competition.
The COVID pandemic has had a major impact on the way we work and live. And it hasn’t stopped yet! We continue to be profoundly affected by the virus. How have young people in particular felt about these momentous changes? This year’s theme sets out to explore their experiences as we ask them to “write a letter to a family member about your experience with COVID.19.”
The UPU’s International Letter-Writing Competition aims to improve literacy through the art of letter-writing. Targeted at children and young people, the annual competition encourages participants to express their creativity and refine their language skills.
- The competition is open to all secondary school students below the age of 16 years and every participating school must submit not more than 3 letters.
- The letter must be handwritten in the English language not exceeding 800 words.
- All entries must be submitted along with the following; Name of the Pupil, Age, Class, School and District.
- Only the national winner and the first 2 runners up will be contacted.
- Submit your letter to the nearest Post Office or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org Whatsapp No: 0797298493
- Winner – Plaque and School fees for a year (Terms and Conditions Apply)
- 1st Runner up – Plaque and assorted scholastic materials
- 2nd Runner up – Plaque and assorted scholastic materials
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: April 23, 2021
The winning letter will be submitted to UPU as Uganda’s entry for the international competition.
For more information contact:
Whatsapp No: 0797 298493; Facebook: Posta Uganda; Twitter: @ugapost1