Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) partnered with ITSO, Gilat and INTELSAT in 2018 and launched a pilot project that utilised Intelsat satellite services and Gilat Satellite Network’s ground infrastructure. For this project, MTN Uganda integrated the sites into their core network.
This pilot was aimed at advancing the deployment of 3G wireless communications infrastructure and expanding high quality, affordable broadband access for businesses and communities in rural areas of Bufundi in Rubanda and Kibuku in Ntoroko as a broadband connectivity proof of concept.
As part of an assessment study being undertaken by UCC, primary data is required to highlight the outcomes of the pilot project from a demand-side perspective. It’s in this regard that the UCC invites applications from experienced individuals in academia to manage and collect the required data for the study in the study areas.
The duration for the assignment will be a maximum of 4 weeks with funding provided to cover the data collection process and its associated expenses. A total sample of about 2,500 respondents is envisaged. Supplementary non-financial facilitation associated with the study may be considered.
Applicants are to submit their applications that MUST include technical and financial proposals.
Deadline for applications is 5.00 PM on Friday 26th April 2019 in conformity with attached Terms of Reference. Submissions in PDF should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Executive Director, Uganda Communications Commission, UCC House, Plot 42-44, Spring Road, Bugolobi, P O Box 7376, Kampala, Toll-free: 0800133911; Tel: 0312, 339000/0414 339000, Fax: 0414 348832 Email:email@example.com
TERMS OF REFERENCE
DATA COLLECTION FACILITATOR FOR THE STUDY ON THE ASSESSMENT OF UCC-ITSO SATELLITE BROADBAND IMPLEMENTATION
Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) partnered with ITSO, Gilat and INTELSAT in 2018 and launched a pilot project that utilised Intelsat satellite services and Gilat Satellite Network’s ground infrastructure. As part of the pilot, MTN Uganda integrated the sites into their core network.
The pilot aimed at advancing the deployment of 3G wireless communications infrastructure and expanding high quality, affordable broadband access for businesses and communities in rural areas of Bufundi in Rubanda and Kibuku in Ntoroko as a broadband connectivity proof of concept.
As such, an assessment with the overall goal of understanding the outcomes of the pilot project from a demand-side perspective is being done as part of the overall project assessment.The study is intended to among others;
- Investigate the commercial viability and sustainability of a satellite-based solution;
- Demonstrate the social – economic value to individuals, government and business realised from providing broadband connectivity to rural areas;
- Identify the bottlenecks to sustainable broadband connectivity to rural and remote areas;
As part of the activities of the assessment, the UCC research team seeks to bring on board an experience data collection expert to facilitate the data collection process.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE FACILITATOR
The data collection facilitator is envisaged to;
- Identify, assemble, train and supervise the data collection team.
- Spearhead and Control the data collection exercise.
- Prepare and submit at least two (2) data collection progress reports during the period and a final data collection report.
- Lead the data cleaning process of the data collected.
- Working jointly with the UCC research team, the facilitator shall;
- Propose an appropriate data collection technique (s).
- Manage a team of competent data collectors.
- Collect data from an appropriate sample size.
- Manage the pre-test of the study tools.
- An inception report with a proposed work plan and list of data collectors
- A pretest report and at least one progress report during the data collection period
- A clean data set submitted in excel, STATA or R-software.
- A final data collection report (in both soft and hard-copy)
The facilitator should be a Ugandan citizen(s) and academic staff from a registered University in Uganda with;
- Continuing appointment for at least two (2) years
- Proven skills of ; A senior researcher; Data collection; Supervision; Report writing
- Extensive knowledge on the subject matter will be an added advantage.
The research and data collection facilitator shall be employed for a period of 4 weeks.
The facilitator shall report to the Head research and service development.
COPYRIGHT AND DISCLOSURE
All data collected, field tools and other deliverables of the study shall remain the property of the Uganda Communications Commission during and after the contract implementation period and shall under no circumstance whatsoever, be disclosed /reproduced without the prior written consent of the Commission. Non-disclosure agreements shall be entered into as deemed appropriate
Please find a downloadable version of the same here; http://bit.ly/2V4NcNq